Communicable Disease Policy

Southern Union State Community College recognizes that students and employees with communicable diseases and/or life-threatening illnesses, including but not limited to AIDS, hepatitis (HBV), tuberculosis (TB), cancer and heart disease, may wish to continue educational pursuits. As long as these students/employees are able to meet acceptable performance standards and medical evidence indicates that their condition(s) is not a threat to themselves or others, the College will ensure they are treated consistently with other students/employees. At the same time, Southern Union State Community College is committed to providing a safe environment for all students and employees. Every precaution will be taken to ensure that neither the health nor safety of Southern Union State Community College employees and students is threatened.

The Exposure Control Officer (ECO) for Southern Union State Community College is Lisa Shiver, DNP,RN. Students/Employees who have medical conditions which require confidentiality are urged to contact the ECO. Information about health matters will be treated confidentially, and any information shared by the ECO will be only on a professional need-to-know basis.

Athletes participating in college sports are urged to report any communicable disease and/or life-threatening illness to the ECO. Notifications may be in person or may be in writing and sent to the ECO in an envelope marked “personal and confidential.” Decisions regarding participation in contact sports will be made on a case-by-case basis. All students living in the college resident hall must attend a required meeting in which the communicable disease policy and prevention of transmission of communicable diseases are explained.

As long as their medical condition permits, students who have a communicable dis ease and/or life-threatening illness may have equal access to college facilities or campus activities, including living in the resident hall and participating in social activities offered by the College. Any problems encountered involving equal access should be referred to the college ADA compliance officer.

Health care is not provided at Southern Union. Students and employees requesting information on HIV, AIDS, and AIDS-related illnesses, HBV, and TB will be referred to appropriate agencies.