Class Scheduling

  1. Class Schedules
    Class schedules are distributed prior to registration dates and provide students with information needed while registering for the subsequent term. The College reserves the right to cancel any course listed in the schedule of classes or to change instructors as conditions necessitate.

  2. Registration Procedures
    Students must follow the registration procedures established by the College to register initially for a course or to change their program after initial registration.

  3. Courses
    Courses are offered at Southern Union to fulfill degree and certificate requirements. With exception for specialized training programs, course numbers and descriptions are chosen from the Common Course Guide which is required system wide by the Alabama Community College System.

  4. Course Load
    Course work at Southern Union is measured in terms of “semester hours.” The semester hour of credit (or credit hour) is based upon the average number of hours of instruction taught weekly. The ratio of weekly contact hours to credit hours varies with the type of instruction being used and the division of the College. State Board of Education Procedure 705.01 outlines six general categories of types of instruction: (1) Theory, (2) Experimental Laboratory, (3) Practical Application Laboratory, (4) Clinical Practice, (5) Preceptorship, and (6) Internship.

    A variety of class meeting schedules fall within this structure and are offered within the Academic, Health Science and Technical Divisions of the College. The recommended student load per semester is 15-19 semester hours. Permission of the appropriate instructional dean is required for hours over 19. A student is considered full time when registered for 12 or more semester hours. The maximum for which a student may register is 24 credit hours.

  5. Course Overload
    Special approval from the appropriate instructional dean is required for students who desire to register for more than 19 credit hours. Students may not register for more than 24 credit hours during any term. A cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher is required for consideration.

  6. Schedule Adjustments
    All changes in student schedules shall be made during the drop and add period (see College Calendar).

  7. Withdrawal From a Single Course
    A student who wishes to drop a single course may do so online. Prior to the deadline date specified in the college calendar, the student will receive a grade of “W” for any course dropped. Withdrawal after the date specified in the calendar is permitted only under extenuating circumstances and requires the approval of the appropriate instructional dean. A grade of “W” is assigned if the student is doing satisfactory work and approval is given. Otherwise, a grade of “F” is assigned. Courses in which a final grade has been earned may not be dropped.

    Note: Students may not drop a course in which a final grade has been earned prior to the published date to withdraw.

  8. Withdrawal From the College
    A student may withdraw from the College online or by obtaining a “Withdrawal Request Form” from the Admissions Office. Any withdrawal before the deadline specified in the calendar will result in a grade of “W” in all courses.

  9. Administrative Withdrawal or Drop from a Course or from College
    A student may be dropped administratively from any course for (1) failure to complete college registration properly; (2) failure to fulfill conditions of registration in those cases when a student may have been allowed to register on a conditional basis; (3) falsification of application and/or records (4) failure to fulfill other conditions of admissions and/or registration; (5) failure to comply with student conduct standards; (6) failure to attend class(es); and (7) failure to comply with “Standards of Practice” as established by the Alabama Board of Nursing, American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, or other regulatory or licensing agencies for programs of study in the Health Sciences Division.

  10. Catastrophic Withdrawal Policies and Procedures
    A Catastrophic Withdrawal may be granted in circumstances that are outside of the student’s control in which a serious catastrophic personal life situation prevents the student from attending classes or completing required classwork. A Catastrophic Withdrawal is intended to be considered on a case-by-case basis, and it is not intended to be used more than once per academic year. Catastrophic Withdrawal consideration is for a complete withdrawal from a given term. Students that have requested and received an Incomplete in a class will not be considered for a Catastrophic Withdrawal. All requests for Catastrophic Withdrawal require thorough, original, and credible documentation. If approved, a Catastrophic Withdrawal will be noted on the transcript with a symbol of “W.”

    A Catastrophic Withdrawal may be requested upon recommendation of a licensed health care provider when a student cannot continue enrollment in his/her courses after the College’s published “last day to withdraw” date because of a serious physical and/or psychological condition. Additionally, a student may request and be considered for a Catastrophic Withdrawal when extraordinary personal reasons, not related to the student’s physical or mental health, prevent the student from continuing in classes (examples may include caring for a seriously ill family member, death of an immediate family member, extreme financial hardship, a traumatic experience, or other significant personal hardship).

    A Catastrophic Withdrawal Request Form can be obtained from the Instructional Deans’ Assistants in each division. Forms may be submitted for consideration after the published “last day to withdraw” date but no later than the last day of classes in the term in which the event occurred.

    Requests for Catastrophic Withdrawals must be verified and approved by the Catastrophic Withdrawal Committee.

    Prior to Submitting the Catastrophic Withdrawal Request Form
    1. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with a Financial Aid counselor to identify and understand the financial aid and monetary implications of processing the request for Catastrophic Withdrawal.
    2. International students with an F1/J1 visa are strongly encouraged to consult with the International Student Advisor to discuss the serious immigration consequences that may result from withdrawal from Southern Union State Community College.
    3. Any course for which a student has previously registered may be repeated. Each attempt that results in an official grade (A, B, C, D, F) will be recorded on the student’s transcript, and each attempt resulting in an official grade will be used
    Catastrophic Withdrawal Request Procedures
    1. Complete the Catastrophic Withdrawal Request Form.
    2. Secure the Licensed Provider Recommendation for Catastrophic
      Withdrawal information and signatures, as required.
    3. Provide documentation to support the catastrophic event, e.g., a copy of the death certificate of the student’s immediate family member.
    4. Submit the completed forms to the Registrar after the published withdrawal date but no later than the last day of classes in the term in which the event occurred.
  11. Repetition of Courses
    Any course for which a student has previously registered may be repeated. Each attempt that results in an official grade (A, B, C, D, F) will be recorded on the student’s transcript, and each attempt resulting in an official grade will be used in computing the grade point average except in the case of implementation of the grade adjustment policy. No course in which the last grade received was an “F” may be counted toward graduation. Also, a course may be counted only once toward fulfillment of credit hours for graduation. The student should be aware that the last grade recorded may be regarded by a senior institution as the grade of record for transfer purposes. Institutional Scholarships will not pay for a repeat of successfully completed courses.

  12. Course Forgiveness Policy
    When a course is repeated more than once, all grades for the course - excluding the first grade - will be employed in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. A course may be counted only once toward fulfillment of credit hours for graduation. Course forgiveness does not influence aid nor transfer GPA. When a course is repeated one time, the last grade awarded (excluding grades of “W”) replaces the previous grade in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. The grade point average during the term in which the course was first attempted will not be affected. The official transcript will list the course and grade each time it is attempted.

    This policy applies to Southern Union State Community College courses only. Implementation of forgiveness does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.

    A student may request forgiveness for courses by completing a “Request for Course Forgiveness” form in Student Records.

  13. Transient Form (SU Students)
    Southern Union students wishing to take courses at another postsecondary institution and receive transfer credit must receive a Transient Form.
    To apply for a transient form, a student must meet the following criteria:

    1. In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, transient forms are provided upon the student’s written request. Re- quests must be done in person through an academic advisor.
    2. Students must be currently enrolled at Southern Union with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
    3. Students must be planning to return to Southern Union the next term after the transient status.
    4. Requests should be made at least one week prior to need.
    5. Requests may be denied for students who have a financial or other obligation to the college. It is the student’s responsibility to have an official transcript forwarded
      to the Admissions Office at Southern Union after completing courses at
      another institution. Course credit earned as a transient student does not influence Southern Union cumulative GPA.